Posing Tips for Cosplay Photos | Tutorial

Posing Tips for Cosplay Photos | Tutorial

Hey Guys, It's Julia!

Today, I wanted to give you some tips I've learned from YouTube, cosplay contests, and personal photo shoots. 

If you want some extra information, there are many YouTube videos. 
This one helped me a lot: How to Pose Like a Pro

Silhouettes:

 This was one of the points discussed in the video, and this truly works!

I'm sure most people know about "Who's that Pokemon?" from the Pokemon anime. This is what I'm talking about.
In this photo, you can tell this is obviously Pikachu. Even without minor details, colors, and a face.

In photos, you should be able to be recognized as that character. I understand that some cosplays are hard to distinguish without the minor details.

If this is the case, be sure to express your emotions. The silhouette should be able to be translated as, angry, sad, happy, and etc. To enhance this, try to keep your limbs apart so you will not create a blob if silhouetted. For a more in depth instruction, please watch the video I linked up above.

Facial Expressions:

This is another point that was talked about in the linked video.

The main point of this is, don't overdo ANY facial expression. 
Correct example

Incorrect
As you can see on the left example, I'm half smiling and looking to the left. It's simple, and represent's Edward's attitude.

However, on the example to the right...
It could be much worse, but the smile is very cheesy. I feel like it's overdone, and doesn't represent Edward.

However there are slight exceptions. For a cute or optimistic character. (Like Alphonse Elric or a Kawaii Girl.) You can smile wide, but don't go too far.

For angry, grumpy, or serious characters. (Like Roy Mustang or a fight scene.) Don't wrinkle your nose much, if at all.


Overall Photo and Pose:

To conclude, I will talk about the overall photo. 

One of the biggest problems for photos are overwhelming scenes. I understand if your at a convention, you WILL have crowds, booths, and other cosplayers around you. Try your best not to take it in a crowded hallway for your sake and the people who are moving around.

IF you are doing a group picture, remember to have some space between characters so you can see the details of each cosplay. make sure each others limbs don't cover the cosplays entirely.


I hope my tips help, and if you have any more please comment so you can help me and others out! If you'd like to see more, be sure to subscribe to this blog! 

Thanks for reading!
-Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JC's introduction

Kagamine Rin! | New Cosplay!